Enjoy a traditional popular drama at a historical playhouse “Korakukan” + Kuroko guide tour of backstage! [Akita·Kosaka Town]
At Meiji period's playhouse "Korakukan", Japan's oldest wooden theater was built in 1910, and it is still active over 100 years! A regular performance of traditional popular drama (Taishu-engeki) is played from April to November. The performances by "Shitamachi Kabuki-gumi" are provided twice or third times in a day depends on the months every year. As it can be enjoyed in all generations regardless of age or gender, we have many customers throughout the year from all across Japan and overseas. The students on school trip also visit us for enjoying the play and learning the history. Please come and enjoy watching the regular performance at Korakukan which is still active over a century. Kosaka Town in Akita was thriving in Kosaka mine. In 1910, the Meiji playhouse “Korakukan” was built as a welfare facility for Kosaka Mine's employees and their families. The theater is western style outside but with a pure Japanese style inside. It is characterized by the unique combination of both Japanese and Western styles. The Korakukan facility tour will be guided by the staff who is dressing all in black costume as a Kuroko which are stagehands in traditional Japanese theater. Please enjoy not only the play but also the back stage of the living playhouse as well! Moreover, eating and drinking are available in the playhouse (*only at special seats "Sajiki-seki", and not allowed to bring in food and drinks from outside of the theater) Korakukan's lunch box "Makunouchi bento" (reservation required), and Soba / Udon etc. from the restaurant can be enjoyed while you watching the play at the "Sajiki" seats.
Adult (over 16 years old) 1 person 2,200yen
Child (7 to 15 years old) 1 person 1,100yen
* Preschool children are free.
Group discount (more than 15 people / adult) 1 person 1,980yen
Group discount (more than 15 people / child) 1 person 990yen
- All prices include tax.
- Price is as stated above.
- Prices vary by date. Please confirm the price after seleting your reservation date.
- 【Included in price】
- Fee for the regular show, facility tour (with guide), tax
- 【Not included in price】
- Food and drinks
【First day of season】2020-07-01
【Last day of season】2020-11-28
2 to 3 hours
Age limit & other information
Please check the reservation site for details.
"KORAKUKAN (康楽館)" a playhouse from Meiji period / a national important cultural property. 2 Matsunoshita, Kosaka-kozan, Kosaka-machi, Kazuno district, AKITA 017-0202
* Please come at least 15 minutes before the reservation time of each performance * For details, please check the "Korakukan" website ＜ Performance period and start time ＞ 4 / 18-5 / 5 10: 00-, 12: 30- (Performance time 75 minutes) 5/6 (Chiaki Raku) 10:00-(90 minutes) 5/8-6/20 10:00-, 12:30-(75 minutes) 6/21 (Chiaki Raku) 10:00-(90 minutes) 6/24-7/28 10: 30-, 14: 00- (120 minutes) 7/29 (Chiaki Raku) 10: 30- (140 minutes) 8/1 ～ 8/25 10: 30 ～ 、 14: 00 ～ (120 minutes) 8/26 (Chiakiraku) 10:30-(140 minutes) 8 / 29-9 / 28 10: 30-, 14: 00- (120 minutes) 9/29 (Chiaki Raku) 10: 30- (140 minutes) 10/2 ~ 10/27 10: 30 ~ 、 14: 00 ~ (120 minutes) 10/28 (Chiaki Raku) 10: 30- (140 minutes) 10/31-11/27 10:30-14:00-(120 minutes) 11/28 (Chiaki Raku) 10: 30- (140 minutes)